Friday, December 4, 2009

I have spoken to Matron and our man at Social Services. There is 'no running out of money' and we can use dad's savings to put him in as early as next week but that money is not refundable and it is, after all his money. Not a decision we will take lightly.
In the meantime, my frustration at this delay leaves me with nothing to do except dwell.....
Whilst dwelling, I remembered an episode that I have not already written down, well I don't think so.
It was about 5 o'clock, about the time that he wakes up and gets a bit restless; usually, that is taken care of by going along the shop to buy some sweets (Werthers Originals). Off he trotted and I sit reading the paper. The carer arrived, no dad. She left him a sandwich and I promise to do the meds. M starts cruising the estate and the cemetary (where mum is) still no dad. One of the neighbours makes a joke about M driving up and down and hastily backtracks when M explains that dad has gone awol.
At 7.00, it is dusk and I make a call to the police. A few words of explanation press the alarm buttons: elderly, vulnerable, alzheimers, lost......I visualise helicopters and search parties up on the downs.
At 8.00 ish we get a call from the Police, they had found him in Brighton General Hospital!
My sister collects him about 11.00 pm. He hadn't wanted to come home (all those young nurses)
and was a bit hyper. The hospital probably wanted him out asap as he has been somewhat difficult in the past. On one occasion he went walkabout in the hospital and was found several floors adrift having a pee in someone's sink. Another time, he caused a full scale security search when he again went missing. He was found sometime later tucked up in bed with another old man. Neither had any idea. I recall visiting him in hospital when he was very confused and he pointed to an old man in the bed opposite and said "Look, there's B..........(me) in that bed over there.
I think he likes going to other places, respite home, hospital, etc., because there is lots going on and his life at home is so boring and lonely. Every room is full of memories of happier times, mum, and a more dynamic life (though that is not a word I would normally equate to dad).

No comments:

Post a Comment