Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Both V and I went to see dad yesterday. Despite falling out of bed twice he looked really well and cheerful. He didn't fall asleep at all and apart from a missing button on his trousers he was quite respectable. The exquisite lady is still there and you get a real sense of community amongst the six people who currently inhabit the top floor. We were asked to bring more socks and clearly there must be borrowers because he has had loads of socks. We requested a chiropody visit because the staff are not allowed to cut toe nails. Hand nails are OK but not toes....I wonder if there is any connection with missing socks. He still has his old glasses on so the missing ones never reappeared. I checked he still had his spare teeth, I couldn't cope if they disappeared as well. We have no more pairs to fall back on.
It is a mistake to ask dad questions because he can't manage answers but I do it anyway.
"What did you have for lunch?"
Beef and fish he assured me, earnestly.
A friend called round today, her mother is in the same boat as my dad so we have a lot in common and regularly compare notes on which services / agencies we use. This can be very rewarding to talk to people who know exactly what it is like here in limbo land.
We went to the local pantomime with my great nephew; he was terrified of certain characters and had to sit on his mum's lap. When the main character called for a volunteer he was up there like a shot and all anxiety went out the window. Sitting behind me was a lady who used to live next door to mum and dad. She told me that she had to visit her parents daily because her mother was 86 and her father had Alzheimers and still lived at home. The mother, at 86, was the carer! They have no help from any other source. It is unbelievable what people cope with.
I must send an email to our social services guy to tell him how well dad is getting on. It re-inforces that we have made the right decision and it is down to him that we have been allowed so much respite.
My sister signed a document to allow a Swine Flu innoculation. Hope it doesn't upset him.

No comments:

Post a Comment